12 Litre 'One of a Kind' Hand Carved Tree Of Life
- Proudly Australian made and owned - Beechmountain Pottery was started in 1980 by Jon and Judy Durand. Along with local master potters and artists, we have been making handmade stoneware pottery for over 35 years!
Each system is uniquely handmade and decorated in Australia. The Beechmountain Pottery workshop is located in the Gold Coast Hinterland, Queensland. In the early 90's we started making and selling the Water Filtration Systems you see here. These proved to be so effective and popular we decided to put our family name on them, 'Durand Water Filters'.
- Suitable for use on all alternative and town water supplies - Supplied with world class Doulton filter, this filter will provide 2,000 Litres of clean safe drinking water from all types of water supply, including bore, creek, dam and rain water.
- Made with Lead Free, Non-Toxic Glazes - Our stoneware systems are fired to 1280 degrees centigrade, making them essentially 'vitrified' to last a lifetime. Stoneware will not deteriorate over time, unlike lower fired ceramics or terracotta. Stoneware does not leach any impurities and will keep your water cool naturally.
- Gravity filtration system - Durand Water Filters are gravity fed and do not require any electricity or plumbing, and are NOT a "fixed installation", so they are easy to move and clean.
Durand Water Filter Systems are a healthy, attractive, benchtop, domestic water filter system, ideal for home and the office, that stores cool GREAT tasting drinking water at an affordable price. Producing Clean, Safe Drinking Water for less than 2 cents a litre with NO installation costs.
The 12 Litre "Durand Water Filters" stand approximately 480mm to 500mm high, and 250mm to 270mm wide.
How it works: Simply add water to the filter container, which sits inside the main storage container. Under the force of gravity the water first passes through the micro porous ceramic walls of the filter. The inside of the walls of the Doulton filter are impregnated with silver. The silver acts as a natural biocide to keep the water inside your filter, and also your stored water, pure. Then the water passes through the activated carbon filled core of the filter. From there it drips into the storage container at the bottom.
Proudly supplied with:
DOULTON SUPERSTERASYL CERAMIC FILTER
- Highly Effective Barrier To Particles and Pathogens - a pore structure down to 0.2 microns to offer maximum protection. 99.99% plus filtration of bacteria, cysts and particles. Suitable for use on all alternative and town water supplies.
- Long Life / Long Term Value - Test results guarantee removal for 2,000 Litres and the ceramic surface of the filters can be easily cleaned.
- Natural - The ceramic is made from 100% natural earths and uses coconut shell activated carbon.
- Minerals Maintained - the filters do not remove those minerals from the water which are beneficial to health.
- Enhanced Anti-bacterialProperties - Silver impregnated ceramic walls makes these filters superior to other ceramic filters and prevents microbiological growth.
- Humanitarian Aid - This filter is used by military, aid/relief organizations, and missionaries around the world.
- No Power Required / No Water Wastage - Cost effective to run and environmentally friendly. Healthy water that doesn't cost the earth!
How it works: The ceramic of a filter candle is cast in such a way that it has one domed closed end. The other end of the ceramic is open. This open end is closed off with a food grade plastic mount, which enables the candle to fit into a filter housing. Water passes from the outside of the candle to the inside, leaving particles of dirt, bacteria, etc. on the outside of the ceramic. The filtered water then passes out of the candle through the mount.
They say Millions of Doulton filters sell each year in over 150 countries around the globe, where Doulton is a household name synonymous with clean, healthy drinking water.
Consider the rest then go with the best!
WHAT IS SUPER STERASYL®?
At the heart of every Doulton and British Berkefeld water filter candle is a Sterasyl silver impregnated ceramic microfilter.
The Sterasyl® ceramic is filled with granular activated carbon to produce the Super Sterasyl™ filter element. Among other things, activated carbon is very effective at removing chlorine and organics from water. Super Sterasyl® uses granular activated carbon instead of an activated carbon block in order to give superior flow rates in a gravity filter.
The incorporation of silver locked within the ceramic structure inhibits the growth of bacteria on the filter.
Supersterasyl membrane: (candle and cartridge form): Used for microbiological removal. The only ceramic element in the world to meet the stringent NSF antimony and arsenic extraction test featuring:
- >99.99% E.coli removal
- Tested with live Cryptosporidium cyst to 100% removal far exceeding EPA three log cyst reduction requirements
- 100% efficiency at 0.9 µm absolute (0.5 µm absolute ANSI standard)
- > 98% efficiency at 0.2 µm
- > 90% efficiency at 0.05 µm
- < 0.07 NTU turbidity reduction
How Activated Carbon Works to Filter Your Water
Activated carbon or AC, works by attracting and holding certain chemicals as water passes through it. AC is a highly porous material, therefore it has an extremely high surface area for contaminant adsorption.( Adsorption is the phenomenon whereby molecules adhere to a surface with which they come in contact with. When water containing soluble organic materials comes into contact with the granular activated carbon it selectively removes these materials by adsorption.)
AC is made of tiny clusters of carbon atoms stacked upon one another. The carbon source is a variety of materials such as peanut and coconut shells or coal. the raw carbon source is slowly heated in the absence of air to produce a high carbon material. The carbon is activated by passing oxidizing gases through the material at extremely high temperatures. The activation process produces the pores that result in such a high adsorptive rate.
LABORATORY TEST RESULTS SHOW THESE FILTERS ARE VERY EFFICIENT AT REMOVING IMPURITIES SUCH AS CHLORINE, BACTERIA, AMOEBAS, SUSPENDED SOLIDS, ORGANIC PESTICIDES, SOME HEAVY METALS, BAD TASTES AND SMELLS. THEY WILL REMOVE 99.99% OF GIARDIA AND CRYPTOSPORIDIUM.
- 98% Suspended Solids
- 99.999% of Giardia
- 99.999% of Cryptosporidium
Please note - Higher levels of chlorine, chemical contamination, or sediment, will slightly shorten the life of the filters.
Doulton's Extensive Development Laboratories are continually setting new standards in water quality throughout the world. Their commitment to quality has been demonstrated by achieving ISO 9002* certification, tested and approved by:
- The British Standard 5750
- The World Health Organization
- Department of Health (Toronto, Ontario)
- Water Research Council (London, England)
- University of Arizona (USA)
- Spectrum Labs (Minneapolis, USA)
- WRC (Buckingham Shire, England)
- National Sanitation Foundation (Standards 42 & 53, USA)
- Hyder Labs, Cheshire England
- Loughborough University, England
- Thresh, Beale & Suckling Laboratories, England.
- Clare Microbiological Laboratories, England
- Severn Trent Laboratories, England
- And Many Other Independent Laboratories Worldwide
* ISO, based in Switzerland, is an international agency that set standards for product manufacturing procedures and processes. Doulton is an ISO 9000 accredited company. As such, it undergoes regular audits by this authority in order to retain its accreditation. Doulton customers throughout the world, are therefore guaranteed a consistent supply of first class, quality assured products.
Doulton Filter History
You may associate the name of Royal Doulton with fine tableware and figurines, but do you know how they came to have the word "Royal" associated with their name?
As early as 1827, Henry Doulton developed a ceramic filter to remove bacteria from the contaminated Thames River, to provide safe drinking water. In 1835 Doulton made a gravity fed stoneware water system combined with the ceramic filter, for use by the royal household. By 1862 with the advancement in microbiology Doulton created micro porous ceramic filters capable of removing more than 99% of bacteria.
The tiny pores of the ceramic filter known as depth filtration, make it extremely efficient at removing particulate matter and fine sediment. The tightly packed activated carbon will remove taste, odours and unwanted impurities through a process called adsorption. The ceramic wall of this filter has been impregnated with silver ions to prevent the growth of bacteria in the filter itself and also in the stored water. (The silver is not painted on the inside of the walls like other filters and will not disperse into the filtered water or wear out in 6 months.) Since the beginning of the century Royal Doulton has been a leading name in water filtration, world renowned for high guality and reliability.
For their achievements made in water filtration, Doulton was given the right to use 'Royal' in their name in 1902.