Berkey™ PF-2 Fluoride Reduction Elements (For use with Black Berkey™ Filter Elements Only)
Berkey PF-2 Fluoride Reduction Elements - Includes Shipping Australia Wide
Set of Berkey PF-2™ Fluoride Reduction Elements for use with Black Berkey Filters only.
Please note: These elements have a different threading size to the Berkey PF-4's and will not fit Doulton ceramic filters.
Using an inert form of activated alumina for the adsorption of the following four unwanted elements commonly found in drinking water.
*Fluoride *Arsenic *Lead *MTBE (Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether)
PF-2™ elements are also designed to "adsorb":
*Heavy Metal Ions *Herbicides and *Pesticides *DBCP (Dibromo-cholro-propane)
Beyond use of 3785L the Berky PF-2 elements will no longer reduce the fluoride levels in the water.
Berkey PF-2™ reduction elements, are designed for use with Black Berkey™ Filter elements to adsorb the following four unwanted elements most commonly found in drinking water.
- MTBE (Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether)
- Berkey PF-2™ filters are also designed to adsorb:
- DBCP (Dibromo-chloro-propane)
- THMs (trihalomethanes)
- Herbicides & Pesticides
- Heavy Metal ions
* Fluoride: Testing for fluoride was based on 20-30ppm of the ion in the influent aqueous solution at a flow rate of no more than 3 gpm (11 lpm) per cubic foot of media. Results of < 1ppm of the fluoride ion in the effluent were typical for the media (>95% reduction). Under optimum conditions, effluent concentrations of less than 50 ppb were readily achieved (>99.75% reduction).
* Arsenic: This product uniquely targets the entire family of arsenic oxide anions as well as the arsenic cations.
* Lead: Tests have shown that when 7,500 litres of influent water at a concentration of lead of 150-200 ppb pass through 200 grams of media at a flow rate of 1gp , the lead level was reduced to less than 1ppb (99% reduction).
* The fuel additive MTBE (Methyl-terteiary-butyl-ether): Berkey PF-2™ elements are manufactured to exceed ANSI/NSF standard 53 which requires that MTBE be reduced by at least two thirds from an influent rate (water going out) of less than 5ppb (>95% reduction*) *Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of total organic carbons and volatile organic compounds may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
Under normal conditions it is recommended that each set of PF-2™ elements be replaced after 3785 litres. If you consume about 5 litres a day of filtered water you would need to replace each set of PF-2™ elements every 24 months when using the British Berkefeld system with Black filters. Actual capacity is dependent on the presence of other competing contaminants in the source water. High levels of fluoride, arsenic and heavy metals may reduce the capacity and efficiency of the elements.
Caution: Filters Must be Primed BEFORE USE! To insure reduction of fluoride, its important to replace these elements as recommended.
Do not install PF-2™ Elements before reading Installation Instructions.
For use with Durand Fluoride Reduction Systems or British Berkefeld Stainless Steel Systems.
To be used in conjunction with a Doulton Super Sterasyl Ceramic Filter.
* Note: Durand Original Systems do not have enough clearance in the storage chamber to accommodate the PF-2™ element.
Berkey PF-2™ elements must be washed and primed before USE
The media in your Berkey PF-2™ contains micro fine process dust that can cause the filtered water to have a bitter taste. To dislodge the process dust from your element, it is necessary to prime each element. To prime your element use the following procedure:
- With blue caps in place wash the exterior of each element with mild dish soap.
- With clean hands, remove both blue caps from the end of each element.
- Place the rubber washer (priming button) onto one of the elements and align the hole in the button with the hole in the element. Hold on to your priming button for further priming.
- Press the priming button up against a sink faucet so that the priming button creates a seal between the faucet and the PF-2™ element.
- While holding priming button against faucet (place thumb on top of faucet to apply pressure and create a better seal) Turn on the cold water gently, allowing water to fill the cavity of the PF-2™ element and discharge for at least 20 seconds or until water runs clear whichever is longer.
- Turn the PF-2™ element the other direction and prime the other end repeating steps 3-5. The element has now been primed.
- Repeat the above steps with the second PF-2™ element.
INSTALLATION and USE:
* Assemble the water filter as per system assembly instruction.
* On the underside of the upper chamber (holding the ceramic filter/ filters), locate the stem of each ceramic filter, making sure the wing nut of the filter is in place and hand tightened.
* With clean hands take a primed (caution read directions above "priming procedure", before installing) PF-2™ element , with the water flow arrow pointing away from the upper chamber. Screw the PF-2™ on the protruding thread of the ceramic filter 3-5 revolutions.
DO NOT SCREW MORE THAN 5 REVOLUTIONS OR YOU MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE INTERNAL SCREEN.
* When complete, seat the upper chamber on top of the lower chamber. Fill upper reservoir or container.
* When the lower reservoir is full, discard the first batch of water, which may contain some process dust.
* When upper chamber is full of water the PF-2 will be immersed in the stored water area.